Monday, June 2, 2014

Kickstarter: Lennon and the Beatles, a Jazz Tribute - by Ron Aprea


Having recorded with John Lennon in 1974 on the "Walls and Bridges" album, I will be producing my jazz tribute to Lennon and his songs.
Hi!  I'm Ron Aprea,  jazz saxophonist & arranger, and I’ve been recording and producing albums for over 30 years. In 1974, I had the honor of being one of the “Little Big Horns” on John Lennon’s 1974 “Walls and Bridges” album. John was an amazing human being, and my vision is to honor the music and spirit of John Lennon with a jazz tribute album. ( You can read more about my experience with John Lennon below.)
This album will include 12 songs, most of which are Lennon or Lennon/McCartney collaborations, with a gem by George Harrison.
I’ll be writing all the musical arrangements, but here’s what we need to budget for:

  • ·Rhythm section (piano, bass, drums)
  • ·Full string section
  • ·I’ll be on alto sax and flute, and we’ll be inviting world-class horn players to join us
  • Studio time:  Recording sessions & Mixing & Mastering
  • Photography, Artwork
  • CD production and pressing
  • Royalty fees (Harry Fox Agency)
  • Marketing: Radio, PR (probably 1/3 of the budget)
  • Domestic and international distribution
  • Kickstarter fee: 5% of funded project
  • Amazon: 5% of funded project (credit card fees)

I’m confident this project can be completed with $7,500…but I’ve set the Kickstarter goal at $5,000, as this is an all-or-nothing fundraiser.

FYI...please remember that your pledges are not collected or distributed unless we reach 100% of our goal.
Take a look at the rewards that you can have for your support.  They include t-shirts and gifts with reproduced images of two of my favorite souvenirs from my stint with John Lennon (see photo above).  It would be my pleasure to send them to you.  Thank you and  bless you for your generosity!
Read more @ Kickstarter